Wednesday, May 2, 2012

One of Rosetta's passions was geography and she loved to travel and see new places. Age never slowed her down until she had mini-strokes in the mid 1990's. Until then she was the best traveling companion anyone could ever want.


She was quite a walker and constantly kept humor and good spirit alive. She was also ready for any type of adventure, filled with the curiosity of a much younger person.

I made it a point to take her on at least one trip a year, and often more than that. One of my favorites was one of her birthdays in the early 90s. I told her I wanted to take her out for a special lunch and said I'd pick her up about 9:30 in the morning.

 
"How come we're leaving so early to go to lunch?"

"Well, Mom, we're going quite a distance for good seafood. You'll love it."

"Okay, honey, I'll be ready."

What she didn't know was that we were going to fly to San Francisco from Los Angeles so we could have lunch at Fisherman's Wharf. Like I said, she was always ready to go. So I picked her up and on the way to the airport she asked where we were going. Always a "weather bird" she'd made sure to bring an extra sweater -- just in case...

When I told her the airport, she looked a bit confused. "Airport?"

"Oh, yeah, forgot to tell you. We're headed for a full day in San Francisco."

Well, she loved it and loved the restaurant. I'd rented a car so we drove around San Francisco a bit, stopping at Chinatown and Union Square. When she was younger, they never had the money to travel, so it always warmed my heart that I was able to fill that desire with trips to New Orleans, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Montana, Alaska and more.

On the way back to the airport she said something like, "Honey, this must have really cost you a lot, but it's a great birthday gift."

I kissed her and said, "As long as you enjoyed yourself, Mom, it was worth every penny."


No comments:

Post a Comment